Define Alienation of Affection

Bernard Tully Personal Injury Lawyer. Phone: 412-281-8700

Today’s blog is on another common question that our clients ask us.

“If my spouse is cheating on me, can I sue his or her lover?” In other words, if your wife or husband is having an extramarital affair and you find out who it is with, can you sue the person that your spouse is having the affair with? Isn’t there something called Alienation of Affection?

Something similar to this issue was just in the news in North Carolina. In NC, they have a statute called alienation of affection allowing you to sue for adultery. However, you do not have that right in PA. The good news is if you proceed to the next level and file for divorce against your spouse, it can be a very important factor concerning who gets custody of the children. The courts don’t want the children to be in that kind of a situation.  It also affects how much money you will have to pay to the cheating spouse in alimony!

Thus, in PA, you do not have the right to sue for adultery and go after that person for any money.

But even if you got a $5 million-dollar reward against the lover, the majority of the time they do not have the money or any form of insurance that would pay for it. Insurance companies do not insure that kind of extramarital affair activity lol.

My free advice is if you get married, stay married.

Our main focus is honesty. We always preach it. We are passionate about trying to help you! Questions about the blog? CALL US Today!

Bernard Tully Pittsburgh Alienation of Affection Attorney. 412-281-8700 or 1-800-518-0050